Medical Scientist (Grade 1)
- Full time, fixed term maternity leave replacement for 12 months
- Be part of a world class research institute
- Contribute to Public Health outcomes
Your new team
The Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory (VIDRL) is a leading Australian infectious diseases reference laboratory located in Melbourne, Victoria. VIDRL is now part of the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity (the Doherty). The Doherty is a joint venture between Melbourne Health and the University of Melbourne. VIDRL provides the Victorian Department of Health with public health reference laboratory services, including surveillance, outbreak investigations, reference testing and research.VIDRL also performs diagnostic testing for Victorian hospitals.
The Mycobacterium Reference Laboratory (MRL) within VIDRL serves as the state Mycobacterial reference laboratory for Victoria. The MRL is responsible for providing both reference functions and diagnostic testing of primary samples associated with tuberculosis and Buruli ulcer cases as well as infections attributable to other mycobacterial species. The MRL is situated within a high containment facility.
This 12 month maternity replacement role will involve routine handling and processing of infectious materials and performance of a range of specialised tests on both clinical specimens and mycobacterial isolates.
Your success in this role, will be in your ability to
- Perform laboratory duties as directed
- To perform and understand diagnostic testing workflow.
- Some experience with mycobacteria would be advantageous but not essential.
- Some experience with molecular techniques would be advantageous but not essential.
- Previous experience working within a NATA accredited laboratory.
- You have excellent attention to detail.
- You have effective time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well within a team.
- Good interpersonal and professional communications skills.
- To accurately follow and adhere to all laboratory protocols and practises.
Our Commitment to you
Here at The RMH we strive for excellence with a strong purpose that defines the work we do for our community - Advancing health for everyone, every day. This is the Melbourne Way.
We believe our success comes from our people. We’re committed to the RMH being a great place to work and a great place to receive care. We have made a long-term commitment to strengthen our organisational culture through leadership, education and empowering our staff to Speak Up for themselves and each other.
This is a role where your passion and expertise can come together to create a truly defining career opportunity. It is a unique opportunity to help us transform the future of the RMH and ultimately ensure we continue to deliver world class healthcare.
The RMH is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity, inclusion and equality for our staff and our community. Our goal is for our people to feel safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best every single day.We encourage talented people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply to our vacancies, and will consider adjustments to support such applications
For a confidential discussion please connect via the details below.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Record Check and a Working with Children Check. Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of an immunisation assessment prior to commencement.