Spencer Clinic is a 19 Bed Acute Mental Health Inpatient Unit sited within the THS North West, Burnie Campus Tasmania.
Spencer Clinic is an Acute Mental Health Inpatient Unit cited within the North West Regional Hospital in Burnie Tasmania. It is a 19 bed unit inclusive of 3 High Dependency Beds.
Burnie is in located the North West region of Tasmania and the gateway to some of Tasmania’s most beautiful natural places and you are never far away from spectacular coastline or towering wilderness. Tasmania offers an affordable lifestyle with fantastic properties in idyllic locations at a fraction of the cost compared to Australia’s capital cities. You are close to everything and the drive home from work is over in a few minutes, so you have a better work life balance – traffic jam is not a common term in Tasmania.
Find out more about our beautiful state here: https://tasmanian.com.au/
You will be privileged to walk alongside our consumers, their friends and families in their recovery journey. Nurses working in mental health describe a real sense of ‘making a difference’ in their day to day work. No two days are the same in mental health. Some days may be structured with planned appointments or 1:1 time, others may involve responding to an emergency and thinking on your feet. We’ll make sure you’re fully inducted and welcomed into our team.
As part of a multidisciplinary team delivering high quality mental health services in accordance with the Statewide Mental Health Services Strategic Plan, Mental Health Service principles, National Mental Health Standards, Agency policy, legal requirements and relevant professional competencies, the Registered Nurse will:
- Undertake the delivery of nursing care to consumers based on best practice principles, person centred, recovery orientated and trauma informed care, within a collaborative and multi-disciplinary framework.
- Provide care to all consumers of the service, which includes comprehensive biopsychosocial assessments, active, therapeutic engagement, monitoring and review of mental state and response to treatments, ongoing psychotherapeutic work using arrange of modalities and techniques, within a Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT).
- Participate in the development and revision of organisational documentation and policies and procedures relating to nursing based best practice and the model of care.
- With a focus on engagement, work in collaboration with the consumers, their family, or carers, to plan, implement and evaluate nursing care that is evidence based, person centred, and trauma informed.
- Function as an active member of the MDT to provide care to all consumers of the service, which includes biopsychosocial assessments, active, therapeutic engagement, monitoring and review of mental state and response to treatments, and updates to the care plan in consultation with the individual consumer, their carers and the MDT.
- As a member of the service, evaluate the effectiveness of nursing strategies in meeting anticipated patient outcomes and participate in the development and revision of organisational documentation, policies and procedures relating to nursing based best practice and the model of care for the service.
Note: - Please refer to the Statement of Duties for all the selection criteria of this position to address in your application.
Details of Appointment:
Fixed term, part time, shift work (fully rotational),position working 40 hours per fortnight, commencing from as soon as possible until 14 April 2023
*notwithstanding hours may be negotiated with the successful applicant
- Applicants should note that, for a period of six months from the date of publication, this selection process may be used to fill subsequent or similar part time and casual vacancies.
Mental Health Services – North West
Base Salary: $67,982 to $93,964 pro-rata per annum + 10.5% superannuation
- Access to the Grade 4 salary range $87,970 - $93,964 is subject to successful application for progression to Grade 4
- Salary range is in accordance with Nurses and Midwives (Tasmanian State Service Agreement) 2019
In addition, the following allowances calculated on the salaried incremental point may be available:
- Post Graduate Allowance of up to 7.5% based on qualification type
- Professional Development Allowance of up to $750 per annum
Successful applicants will be required to meet the essential criteria:
- Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia as a Registered Nurse
- Current Driver’s Licence (only applicable where the occupant is required to provide services to community-based clients)
Applicants should note the following criteria are desirable:
- Possess or be working towards a specialist tertiary graduate or post graduate mental health/psychiatric nursing qualification, or completed prior to the transfer of nurse education to the tertiary sector, a hospital based training program that resulted in previous registration as a psychiatric nurse by the relevant nurse registration authority within Australia
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre‑employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- Conviction checks in the following areas:
- crimes of violence
- sex related offences
- serious drug offences
- crimes involving dishonesty
- Identification check
- Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
Download the Statement of Duties and any Associated Documents
We encourage you to review the Applicant Guide and Statement of Duties, prior to applying for an overview of the duties, program, selection process and selection criteria.
How to Apply
Apply Online. Please click the blue "Apply now" button on this screen. This ensures important questions about you are answered.
You will be prompted to complete a 1-2 page application detailing your experience, skills and knowledge as they relate to the attached Statement of Duties.
- We do not require a separate statement addressing the selection criteria in the Statement of Duties.
- All attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- Referee details are submitted as part of the online application so make sure you have the contact details of two referees before applying.
For More Information
Nurse Unit Manager
0458 284 996
The email account you provide when submitting job applications will be used in correspondence to you. It is important that this is kept up to date and monitored regularly.
To update your email address (or contact number), log in towww.jobs.tas.gov.auand look for “Existing applicant login” where you can update your details
The Department of Health values workforce diversity and recognises the value each person offers which is shaped by their unique characteristics, background, experiences, knowledge, skills, values and perspectives.